Shopping for the right men’s carry-on luggage doesn’t have to be stressful, and navigating a variety of weights, sizes, materials, and features can quickly become a cinch.
Check out our guide on the best carry-on luggage for men to help you pick the perfect one for your needs.
Research the Available Options
Before purchasing any men’s luggage, research the available options.
Compare sizes, weight limits, and features to ensure you choose something that fits your needs. Look for the overall quality of materials and consider which specific features will most benefit your travel needs.
Some essential features include waterproof fabric, locking mechanisms, compartments, and straps for easy carrying.
Establish Your Budget
Establishing a budget is the first step to finding the best men’s carry-on luggage. Set an amount you are willing and able to spend on your carry-on bag.
This will narrow down your search for luggage, as there are options at nearly all price points.
Once your budget has been established, you can start researching which bags and brands are most suitable for your needs within that price range.
Think About Size and Functionality
The size of your carry-on should be suitable for the trip you’re taking.
You want it to fit in the overhead compartment and ideally under the seat in front of you, if possible.
This is especially important for international flights or extended trips when there may not be as much space in the overhead compartments. Consider different carry-on sizes and features each bag offers that could suit your needs better depending on what you plan to put in it.
Men’s Carry-on Luggage Size
Carry-on luggage size can vary depending on the airline you’re traveling with. However, most airlines have similar size restrictions that you should know when choosing a carry-on bag. Here are some general guidelines:
- United States: Most domestic airlines in the United States allow carry-on bags that are no larger than 22 x 14 x 9 inches (56 x 36 x 23 cm).
- Europe: Many European airlines have similar size restrictions to the United States, but some allow slightly smaller bags. Check with your airline to confirm their size restrictions.
- International: International airlines may have slightly different size restrictions, so checking with your airline before you travel is essential. Generally, most airlines allow carry-on bags no more significant than 21.6 x 15.7 x 7.8 inches (55 x 40 x 20 cm).
It’s important to note that some airlines also have weight restrictions for carry-on bags, so be sure to check those. Additionally, if you plan to use a soft-sided bag, ensure it can fit easily into the overhead compartment or under the seat in front of you. If you’re unsure about the size or weight of your carry-on bag, check with your airline before you travel to avoid any issues at the airport.
Consider Mobility Features and Weight
Mobility is one of the critical features of a carry-on. Look for design structures that make the bag easy to move around – either by wheels, telescoping handles, or straps.
Additionally, pay attention to weight when selecting – especially if you’re not planning on checking in your luggage.
You should aim for a maximum weight of 8kgs for your carry-on for an average journey, as any more than this may incur penalty charges.
Look for Extra Durability and Security Measures
Durability is essential in any bag, but especially an investment-grade carry-on.
Look for options with hard shell exteriors crafted from lightweight, high-quality materials like ballistic nylon and aluminum. Secure zipper closures are a bonus, as they will keep your valuables safe and prevent them from coming loose.
Adding locks to your bag may also be helpful – TSA or combination locks are a great option.
Best Carry on Luggage
Choosing the best carry-on luggage can be a personal preference, but here are some popular options to consider:
- Away Carry-On: This luggage brand has become famous for its durable hard-shell design, built-in USB charging port, and removable laundry bag. It also has a TSA-approved lock and 360-degree wheels for easy maneuverability.
- Samsonite Omni PC Hardside Spinner: This hard-side spinner is made of durable polycarbonate material and features a TSA-approved lock, four multi-directional spinner wheels, and an interior divider with multiple pockets.
- Travelpro Maxlite 5 Carry-On: This soft side luggage has a water-repellent coating and a durable polyester fabric. It features a front pocket for easy access to essentials, a telescopic handle, and two smooth-rolling wheels.
- Briggs & Riley Baseline International Carry-On: This luggage is designed for frequent travelers and features a lifetime warranty. It is made with ballistic nylon and has a CX compression-expansion system, providing up to 25% more packing space. It also has a TSA-approved lock and a built-in garment folder.
- Tumi Alpha 3 Carry-On: This luggage is made with durable ballistic nylon and features a built-in USB port, four dual-spinner wheels, and a TSA-approved lock. It also has an integrated garment sleeve and multiple pockets for organization.
When choosing the best carry-on luggage, consider the material, size, weight, durability, and features such as wheels, locks, and compartments. Additionally, ensure the luggage fits the size restrictions of the airlines you plan to travel with.
Best Carry on Duffel Bag
Here are some popular options for the best carry-on duffel bags:
- Patagonia Black Hole Duffel: This duffel bag is made with durable and weather-resistant material and has multiple compartments for organization. It also has padded straps for comfortable carrying and can be converted into a backpack for versatility.
- Herschel Novel Duffel: This stylish duffel bag is made with durable polyester and has a spacious main compartment. It also has a shoe compartment, a waterproof zipper, and padded straps for comfortable carrying.
- Filson Small Duffel Bag: This classic duffel bag is made with water-resistant twill and has a spacious main compartment. It also has a storm flap, a brass zipper, and leather handles for easy carrying.
- Everlane Mover Pack: This duffel bag is made with durable polyester and has a sleek and minimal design. It has a padded laptop sleeve, multiple compartments for organization, and can be carried as a duffel or backpack.
- Timbuk2 Quest Duffel: This duffel bag is made with weather-resistant material and has a spacious main compartment. It also has a separate shoe compartment, multiple pockets for organization, and can be carried as a duffel or backpack.
When choosing a carry-on duffel bag, consider the material, size, weight, durability, and features such as compartments and straps. Additionally, ensure the bag meets the size restrictions of the airlines you plan to travel with.
Best Affordable Carry-on Luggage Affordable
Here are some popular options for the best affordable carry-on luggage:
- AmazonBasics Hardside Spinner: This cheap carry-on luggage is made with durable ABS material and a scratch-resistant finish. It features four double-spinner wheels, a telescoping handle, and a fully-lined interior with a divider and multiple pockets.
- Rockland Melbourne Hardside Spinner: This hard-side spinner is made with durable ABS material and features multi-directional spinner wheels, a telescoping handle, and a fully-lined interior with a divider and pockets. It also comes in a variety of colors and prints.
- American Tourister Elite Max Softside Spinner: This soft-side spinner is made with durable polyester and features four multi-directional spinner wheels, a telescoping handle, and a fully-lined interior with a divider and pockets. It also has a large front panel pocket for easy access to essentials.
- Travelpro Maxlite 5 Softside Spinner: This soft side spinner is made with water-repellent polyester fabric and features four multi-directional spinner wheels, a telescoping handle, and a fully-lined interior with a divider and pockets. It also has a front pocket for easy access to essentials.
- Kenneth Cole Reaction Out of Bounds Hardside Spinner: This hard side spinner is durable ABS material and features four multi-directional spinner wheels, a telescoping handle, and a fully-lined interior with a divider and pockets. It also has molded corner guard reinforcements for added protection.
When choosing affordable carry-on luggage, consider the material, size, weight, durability, and features such as wheels and compartments.
Balancing affordability and quality is essential, so read reviews and research before purchasing.
Additionally, ensure the luggage fits the size restrictions of the airlines you plan to travel with.